The cricketing world witnessed an electrifying clash as Australia emerged victorious, securing their sixth ICC Cricket World Cup title by defeating India in an enthralling final showdown. The battle, held at the iconic Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad unfolded as an interesting battle of skill, resilience, and sheer determination.
Australia won the toss and opted to field, setting the tone for a high-stakes encounter. The match kicked off with an amazing start from India's Rohit Sharma, while Shubhman Gill's early departure to Mitchell Starc marked the first twist in the tale.
Virat Kohli entered the ground, displaying his trademark aggression, but Glenn Maxwell’s exceptional catch led to Rohit departing three runs away from his half-century. Pat Cummins and the Australian bowlers continued to dominate, claiming key wickets including the in-form Shreyas Iyer, leaving India's middle order in a tough spot.
The boundaries almost dried up after the 10th over and after the wicket of Kohli fell on 54 off 63, while KL Rahul was still standing on the crease, trying to hold the innings together. But India had to deal with another blow with the fall of the wicket of Ravindra Jadeja.
As KL Rahul made another half-century, the partnership with Suryakumar Yadav became the last stand for India’s recognized batters that ended with the dismissal of KL Rahul at 66 off 107. Mohammed Siraj and Kuldeep Yadav then concluded India’s inning by making crucial 14 runs for the last wicket and ended at a score of 240 in 50 overs.
Team India commenced with defense aggressively, with Mohammed Shami making an impactful start by dismissing David Warner early in the innings. Jasprit Bumrah’s incisive bowling on the other hand claimed the wickets of Mitchell Marsh and Steve Smith within the first ten overs, keeping India’s hopes alive.
However, Australia surged back into contention with their opener Travis Head who slammed a brilliant century off 95 balls. The partnership of 57 off 109 balls between Travis Head and Marnus Labuschagne pushed Australia forward in the game, sealing their victory with Head’s remarkable 137-run knock.
In a significant victory, Australia secured a six-wicket win over India in 43 overs, securing their sixth ICC Cricket World Cup title. Head’s outstanding performance earned him the Player of the Match honor, while Virat Kohli’s outstanding contributions throughout the tournament earned him the Player of the World Cup title.
Here are some of the key highlights from the India VS Australia World Cup final-
- Australia won the toss and opted to bowl first.
- Rohit Sharma started swiftly but Shubhman Gill’s wicket fell early.
- Virat Kohli entered the game aggressively, but Australia struck again with the wickets of Rohit Sharma and Shreyas Iyer.
- Kohli scored another half-century but was eventually dismissed by Pat Cummins.
- KL Rahul also scored a half-century, but Ravindra Jadeja’s wicket fell on the other end.
- Suryakumar Yadav also failed to give a strong finish to Indian Innings.
- Mohammed Siraj and Kuldeep Yadav pushed India's total to 240.
- Bumrah’s first over gave away 15 runs, but Shami took the wicket of David Warner on his second ball.
- Bumrah's early spell resulted in the dismissals of Mitchell Marsh and Steve Smith within the first 10 overs.
- Scoring a century off 95 balls, Travis Head marked the comeback of the Australian Team.
- Marunus Labuschagne achieved his 11th half-century in 99 balls by the 40th over.
- Travis Head's remarkable 137-run innings took Australia to a six-wicket victory over India in 43 overs.