Delhi Metro has taken a new step in making the lives of its commuters easier, which will enable them to travel without any metro card or paper ticket. This step will allow the commuters to save time and skip the queues for recharging their card or purchasing tokens by booking their tickets online beforehand. It is said that this initiative is in line with the government’s ‘Digital India’. An initiative where everything from booking to the ticket to finally redeeming it will be done online for entry and exit of the commuter using QR codes.
Commuters can now buy tickets online through an app, Paytm, or Whatsapp.
1. How to buy tickets online using an app
You can buy Delhi Metro tickets online through an app called RIDLR.
The procedure for buying the ticket through the app is as follows:
- Install RIDLR App from App Store or Play Store.
- Once the app is installed, register with your valid credentials.
- After this, go ahead and buy a QR ticket.
- In this step select the number of passengers (max limit 6)
- Proceed for making payment.
- Get the ticket (QR code)
- At the entry gate, present the QR to the scanner
- On the exit gate, present the same QR to the scanner to make an exit.
2. How to buy tickets online using Paytm
The procedure for buying the ticket through Paytm is as follows:
- If not already done, download the Paytm app from Play Store or App Store.
- Use your basic credentials and signup or login into the app and link a bank account that will be used for making payments.
- Find the ‘Metro’ icon on the main screen or you can also search it through the search bar.
- Click on the icon and select ‘Metro QR ticket’.
- Select your entry and exit stations.
- Select the number of tickets you want to book then press ‘ Proceed to Pay’.
- Now you’ll get a QR code that you can scan on the entry gates to go inside and once your trip ends, scan the QR code again to exit.
3. How to buy tickets online using Whatsapp
The procedure for buying the ticket through Whatsapp is as follows:
- Start the process by sending ‘HI’ on the official Whatsapp number of DMRC, i.e. 9650855800 and choose your preferred language.
- After selecting the language, multiple options appear such as ‘Buy Ticket’, ‘Last Journey Tickets’, and ‘Retrieve Ticket’. Select ‘Buy ticket’.
- Now enter the details of the passengers travelling and the chat will revert all the details along with the prices charged for the journey.
- Once you confirm the details, you’ll receive a confirmation message and a payment link.
- Once your payment gets confirmed, you’ll receive a QR-based ticket on your Whatsapp which can be used at scanners for entry and exit.
Important Details to Note
- New QR tickets can only be purchased after the last purchased tickets have been utilized or expired after the end of the business day.
- The QR ticket booking can be done daily from 4:00 in the morning to 10 minutes before the last train.
- The QR ticket is valid only for 65 minutes for entry or exit from different stations and 30 minutes for entry or exit from the same station.
- The entry from the QR ticket can be done only from the selected station.
- The exit can be done at the selected station, the station before the destination, or stations with the same fare.
- If your mobile phone gets lost between entry and exit, you’ll be considered without a ticket.
- The QR-based ticket reservation system is currently available only on the Airport Express Metro line of Delhi but it will soon be available on all the stations around Delhi.